Saturday, January 14, 2012

 Rough-legged buzzard. This Juvenile may have been in the Greystones area of Wicklow since Nov 2011 but wasn't identified until early Jan 2012. I was treated to fantastic views as it soared with upto 6 common buzzards also in the area. The fields were full of redwings and stock doves and even had a crossbill fly over me calling as I watched it. The bird was re-located along the coast at lunch time and a short drive later, I had fantastic views as it circled the fields before passing over close overhead on its way back to its original location. In the fading light I headed to Greystones harbour and the perfect end to the day was 11 snow buntings feeding on the shingle beach down to 10 feet. If only it was always this good!
 Rough-legged Buzzard, a quick water colour sketch done at home ahead of a second trip down to Greystones. While chatting with others present I was given a red kite primary, I always find it a challenge to paint the detail of the feathers up close.

No comments:

Post a Comment